Saturday 18 February 2012

Exciting News


Today I am wondering about the impending changes in my life.  I am pleased to announce that next September I will be working at UBC as an Adjunct Faculty Professor.  This has been a dream of mine for many years and I am so excited to be able to pursue this amazing opportunity.

Fifteen years ago, when I began my B.Ed at UBC I met my own faculty advisor, Cheryl Douglas who showed me a new way of teaching.   She and other outstanding educators since, have inspired me in so many ways and have positively shaped my practice and helped me to grow professionally.   I will forever be indebted to colleagues/educators such as, Cheryl, Janice, Jean, Rosamar, Rika, Joanne, Kathyrn, Marianne, Karen, Steve, Jen, both Michelles, Adrienne, Susan, Lisa, Melanie, Andrew, Mike, Braunwyn, Hieu, Caroline, Megan, Lana and many others (my list could go on and on).   Now that I have been teaching for several years, and am broadening my knowledge of education through my Graduate studies, I feel ready to try my hand at mentoring teacher candidates and hopefully inspire a few along the way.

As I prepare our family for my busier schedule (I will be going from working 50% to 80% - 4 days total - 3 days at UBC and 1 day at Errington Elementary) I hope that they will be able to adjust without too much trouble. Scott is very proud and supportive and together I know we can navigate the waters.   Tomorrow we meet with a prospective young lady interested in doing before and after school care for us.  She is a college student who seems enthusiastic, caring and experienced with kids so I hope that she will meet our needs and assist in making the transition from having mommy home to someone else, less stressful for M & M.  We plan to have whomever we hire start one day/week until June so that the kids can begin to form a relationship with her.  This way the changes in September might be eased.  


With all change, I have mixed feelings of excitement, nervousness, worries, and many wonders!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. That is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jen! I had no idea you had applied. I think it's great that you are still holding on to your teaching position at Errington too! Glad that you are figuring out how to juggle it all! I've been in that role with young children so we should chat! You will be an amazing inspiration to beginning teachers.

    ReplyDelete