Monday 27 February 2012

Being Present

Tonight Scott reminded me that my balance scale has been tipped lately too much towards my studies and general learning interests.  He reminded me that I need to try to stay present with him and the kids.


Two key examples occurred tonight.   First when Megan asked me to scribe a story for her (she injured one of her fingers badly while bowling yesterday and can't write properly).  While I was busy at the computer, she asked me three times to help her write and each time my response was "in just a minute".   Well, the feisty, determined little girl that she is, got tired of that response and when into the garage to ask her Daddy (Scott) who was playing hockey with Matthew, to help her.   Scott told her to come in and relay the message to Mommy to "get off the computer".  


Second example was later in the evening, when I had to ask Scott a couple of times what I just missed in the episode of Grey's Anatomy that we were watching together... or shall I say he was watching and I was masterminding my "To Do" list for tomorrow.  


Lately I have been "obsessed" with Technology 2.0 and find it hard to pull myself away from the screen.   I love learning and have been trying out new programs such as Evernote, Google Presentations, Google Reader, and so on.  I have never been a person who goes at things half way, be it projects, baking or learning...   that is just not the way I roll.  Instead I chase after things at full speed and sometimes (a lot of the times) become consumed along the way.   Generally this is 'good thing' as it has helped me to accomplish many goals and dreams, but tonight I was happy to have my best friend and husband remind me of what is really important in my life.  


As I did one last little check-in with my computer on my way up to bed I stumbled upon this "To Do List" Vimeo and it was like the universe was reaching out and talking to me!   It was serendipitous... 

No comments:

Post a Comment