Monday 16 January 2012

My Very First Blog

My Little Word
This is my first blog...  I spent some time this morning using Wordpress but didn't find it all that user friendly - so here I am on blogger!

This year I plan to document my thoughts on this blog around my word for 2012 - WONDER.   A mentor of mine did this last year on her blog and I thoroughly enjoyed her reflections and found myself connecting to her posts and growing through her wisdom.   She discovered the One Little Word movement that you can find more information about HERE

So what does the word "Wonder" mean to me?  I think it means that I need to be open to speculate curiously and trouble myself with deep thinking this year, in order to grow as a parent, wife, and educator.  I say trouble because I think sometimes when you think deeply you find yourself moved from a place where you are content with the knowledge you have, to a place of uneasiness... and why would one want to do this???

~ Hopefully to promote healthy growth and positive change!  I don't promise any wisdom, just some random thoughts that I hope will connect and inspire others in their own life long learning journey.

My "wonders" for today include:

At Home
  • Wondering if my husband and kids know how much they light up my day?  Today Scott had a minor accident (although we aren't sure if his car will need to be replaced!) and I was so happy to hear he was fine but it made me wonder if he knows how much I and the kids love him.  
  • Hoping Scott settles in at his new position at the city.   Change is always a little uncomfortable but brings new opportunities.  

Education

  • How to better organize my student's writing into folders and find a way to assess during writing blocks so that I can stop lugging home all my student's books!
  • Thinking about lessons that teach and promote social and emotional intelligence... I plan to create some lessons using some superb children's picture books that will teach self-awareness, empathy,  confidence, self-control and many other necessary life skills. 
  • Education in the 21st Century... what will it look like?  As we move away from a time of memorizing facts and information, how will I inspire inquiring attitudes and habits of mind that will enable my students to become life long learners?  This question needs to sit and resonate for awhile!
  • The  BC Education Plan - when can I find some time to complete the interactive questionnaire?
  • Wiki's - want to know more about these and how they can improve my practice.


Generally
  • Thankful for a friend who encouraged me to get into the world of blogs...  She gave me the necessary nudge and I am so grateful for the time she spent with me today teaching me the skills!

4 comments:

  1. Jen,
    I am thrilled you started your blog! You are already such an inspiration to many and now to many, many more! I love the way you put your mind to something and you just get it done! Here's hoping we get a lot of 'wonders' answered during our next course :)
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your new blog Jen! Wonder is a fabulous word to focus on. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your choice of a word and how you are connecting to all parts of your life. I look forward to following you on your journey.

    ReplyDelete