Wednesday 25 January 2012

A Good Story

As a parent and teacher I find myself reflecting on my kids as learners.  Daily I enjoy how my daughter comes home bounding with enthusiastic stories about her class and the lessons she took part in.   My son Matthew, on the other hand isn't as forthcoming and would prefer to talk sports, as opposed to anything else.

This week Megan has been wrapped up in Roald Dahl's book The BFG that her teacher is reading to her. She loves to tell me what happened in the story each day and is constantly making connections to the characters.  As a teacher and reader, this warms my heart.

Is has also caused me to 'wonder' about kids like Matthew.  I know that boys in general tend to prefer non-fiction books and Matthew fits this characterization... he loves his hockey fact books and the Guinness Book of World Records but is this enough?  As a child I remember loving to get into a good fictional chapter book.   At Matthew's age or maybe a little older, I remember the pure enjoyment of reading Judy Blume books, The Secret World of Og, Chose Your Own Adventure books and so on and it saddens me that he isn't "hooked on books" as I was.   I don't think it has much to do with his reading level or comprehension because even when I read aloud to him I don't see that enthusiasm or love for story.   He likes picture books and but is not interested in reading anything longer and when I suggest it, he says "Do we have to?" Though I have tried some beginning fictional chapter books about soccer, I think I haven't found just the right book.

Knowing that he prefers "everything sports" I think I may have to have a lunch date with him this weekend.  It has been a long time since him and I have visited Kidsbooks in Vancouver and popped by Kalhoun's (A restaurant two doors down - we like the GIANT cookies they bake).   I hope Christianne is working on Sunday.   She seems to know the plot of every book ever written and is a great support to point you in the right direction.

Here is hoping to find just that right book that will "hook" Matthew in.

BTW - My husband, who is NOT a reader, self-proclaims that he never read a fictional book growing up unless it was read to him and that it never hurt him.   For those of you who don't know Scott, he is in management at the City of Vancouver in planning  One could argue  that he has been successful despite the fact that he "doesn't read"(at least for pleasure).  So I 'wonder' perhaps if the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... though I am still not sure if I am ok with this!


No comments:

Post a Comment