Tuesday 17 January 2012

For the love of blanky's

Meggy and her blanky!
I have never quite understood why some people think children should give up their blankys.

I grew up with a blanky.  My sister and brother had blankys and many of my close friends did too.

Over Christmas, I had the good fortune to catch a Charlie Brown show called Happiness Is A Warm Blanket.  The story is about Lynas, a character who loves his blanky and is being forced to give it up by his Grandmother.   Throughout the story the other characters, such as Lucy and Snoopy try to help Lynas break his blanky habit but to know avail.  Throughout this classic tale a lesson seeps through.

Charlie Brown
"I think there is value in this blanket business.  It puts him [Lynas] in the mood for contemplation.  It quiets his mind so he can really think about things".

Lynas
"Who among you doesn't have an insecurity?  Who among you doesn't depend on someone or something to help you get through the day?"

"I need this blanket...  Remember the last time you were here Grandma... Remember when you drank 12 cups of coffee?  Perhaps your drinking 12 cups of coffee was not unlike my need for a security blanket..."

Blankys offer children comfort and security.   My daughter Megan LOVES her blanky.   It is worn and has holes, but these have been given to blanky through endless love and chubby little hands that have held it.   She says it has her "special smell" and she even has a favourite corner that has a little hook that she holds it with.

I say, cherish those blankys!

No comments:

Post a Comment