Wednesday 14 March 2012

Spring Break Tradition

Every year for the past five, my kids and I have taken a day over Spring Break to cruise the skytrain and Sea Bus.  We also do this once over the summer too.   We leave in the morning, eat lunch in North Vancouver, play at the pit at the Quay and then come home.  It has become a tradition that both the kids and I look forward to.

Today I reminisced with my Dad who came with me on one of our first trips.  Megan was 21 months and Matthew would have been almost four.  At that stage in life, Megan was a really easy going, quiet, docile child, so my Dad and I were astonished,  when we arrived back at the car after our trip, when Megan refused to sit in her carseat.  I remember that moment like it was yesterday (I CANNOT believe it was five years ago - ahhh).  My Dad and I both took turns trying to push her down to get the buckles of the carseat done up but she keep arching her back and pointing at the trains.   She loved that trip!!!   Each time the skytrain stopped she said "mo people, mo people".  Her brother Matthew thought we were hurting her because she started screaming and so he started crying too.   My Dad and I started laughing with exhaustion.   Eventually we got her into the seat but it wasn't without a great deal of effort.




ALL 3 FELL ASLEEP on the way home!
So today as I took them for the umpteenth time I felt a little sadness as I remembered that particular trip.

Last night we had our nephew sleepover and he came along on our trip today.   The kids had lots of fun (especially since they got to skip school - my spring break started last week and my kids aren't off until this Friday - the con of working in a different school district than your kids). We hopped off at the Broadway station and enjoyed an impromptu trip to visit Daddy at Vancouver City Hall.   When we arrived in North Vancouver, we ate lunch at Eastside Mario's (kids eat free over Springbreak) and had fun playing in the ball pit in the Quay.

1 comment:

  1. This is an adventure that I really want to do with my kids. Maybe next week. Sounds like a fun day was had by all.

    ReplyDelete