Thursday 1 March 2012

Simple Pleasures

One of the many gifts of having children is when they remind you to enjoy the simple things in life.   I was reminded of this at dinner tonight with Megan.   Thursday nights her and I eat alone.   I pick her up from dance at 6:30pm and by the time we get home, Scott and Matthew have headed out to Matt's soccer practice.

We call it "Girls Night" and I try to make it special.   Sometimes we go out to dinner, or I'll bring home a special dessert just for us.  Other nights are more typical but regardless, we both look forward to our time together.

Tonight our dinner conversation went like this:

Megan:  Today was just the best day ever.   It was so exciting, Mommy!

Me:  Really?  Why?

Megan:  It was the first day of the month.

Me:  Yes, it was.   I can't believe we are in March already.

Megan:  Yup.  But that's not why I was excited.  We got our desks moved.   Mrs. Monk always moves our desks on the first day of the month and when I go into my class I have to find my desk.   It is so much fun.

Me:  Wow, that would be fun.

Megan:  It is... and each time she moves us she put us with new friends.   I love my new group.  I am sitting with Nicola, Carter, and Logan M.

Me:  Maybe I should try this with my class.

Megan:  You should!!!

Megan:  (without missing a beat)  I sure hope it rains tomorrow.

Me:  Rain, are you kidding me?   I hope it is sunny.

Megan:  NO way!   I want it to rain.  I can't wait to use my new umbrella, it's going to be so exciting.

Wouldn't it be great if we could consider all days the "best day ever" just by getting to sit beside to new friends and looking forward to the rain.   The life of a child is truly a treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment