Sunday 1 July 2012

Megan's Never Ending Birthday!

Yesterday was Megan's 7th birthday!   We have been celebrating her big day all week.   Last Sunday she had many little friends over to celebrate.

Making sun catchers with pony beads!

The calm before the storm...

Baking the sun catchers...

Painting our treasure chests!  When they were dry they
went on scavenger hunts to find treasures for their boxes! 

A cupcake cake was fitting for the girl who shares my love
of cupcakes!


If hosting her birthday was not enough, later that day we had both of our families over for dinner to celebrate both Megan and Matthew's birthdays.


This weekend we continued to party... Megan loved her birthday breakfast - pancakes, carmel syrup and ice-cream!


As per tradition in our house, she chose which restaurant she wanted us to go to for dinner.   We met up with my sister's family at White Spot in South Surrey and had fun swimming in their pool afterward.

One final birthday wish!
As I reflect on my little girl and the person she is, some of things I love about her include:

~ her love of song and dance... she cannot hear a tune with singing and dancing to the music.
~ her love of writing and drawing - it is rare to see Megan without a writing tool and notebook in hand... and we love finding her notes all around the house.
~ her ability to see things that might go unnoticed by others!  She is very perceptive!
~ her helpfulness... she can clean a bathroom as well as any adult and actually likes to clean!
~ her funny personality...  She is a ham!  Out of the blue, she will shoot you a funny face, or say something witty just to get a laugh.   When correcting her, she'll go cross-eyed which makes it difficult to stay mad at her.
~ her octopus legs that entangle my own when she crawls into bed with Scott and I.
~ her love of her friends and family.  She is very loyal.   When Matthew is getting in trouble, she often sticks up for him.

So as I tucked her in last night, I read her the book Someday by Alison McGhee and Peter H. Reynolds.  This beautiful story shares a mother's hopes and dreams for her little girl.

One day I counted your fingers and kissed each one.
One day the first snowflakes fell, and I held you up and watched them melt on your baby skin.
One day we crossed the street and you held my hand tight.
Then you were my baby, and now you are my child.
Sometimes, when you sleep, I watch you dream and I dream too...
That someday you will dive into the cool, clear water of a lake.
Someday you will walk into a deep wood.
Someday your eyes will be filled with joys so deep they shine.
Someday you will run so fast and so far your heart will feel like fire.

Someday you will swing so high, higher than you ever dared to swing.
Someday you will hear something so sad that you will fold up with sorrow.
Someday you will call a song to the wind, and the wind will carry your song away.
Someday I will stand on this porch and watch your arms waving to me until I no longer see you.
Someday you will look at this house and wonder how something that feels so big can look so small.
Someday you will feel a small weight against your strong back.
Someday I will watch you brushing your child's hair.
Someday, a long time from now, your own hair will glow silver in the sun.
And when that day comes, love, you will remember me.

1 comment:

  1. You are such an amazing and talented Mother, Jen... Megan must have been thrilled with her birthday week. I can't believe she's 7 already.

    ReplyDelete