Wednesday 1 August 2012

Summer Traditions

For six years now our family has gone camping at Cultas Lake with our friends.   It began with only three families way back in 2007.   Several of our other friends came with us that year to Dinopark, but weren't ready to do the camping thing.  I grew up camping in the summer and I wanted my kids to have the same wonderful memories I had of camping at Deception Pass.  When Megan turned two, I felt we were ready to begin camping and I am so glad we did.

As word spread of the fun to be had, more families have joined us over the years.  This year, as well as last, we had 12 families with over 30 kids.  This is one of the biggest highlights of my children's summer.   They love seeing their friends, fishing, swimming, roasting marshmallows and hotdogs, making smores, biking the trails, buying a daily treat at the store, playing soccer, baseball and football, watching the daddies football game, playing at the playground, and creating games together.   This year the girls created a cheerleading dance for the sidelines of the sporting activities.

I delight in watching the kids interact and the freedom that the children have.   Since there are always multiple activities happening at once, the kids often choose to go with different families who may be fishing, swimming, or getting a game going.    I love how the older children take responsibility for the younger ones and how the younger ones keep up with big kids.   The kids are usually very good about letting us know where they are and should we inquire as to where someone might be, the kids always  know where everyone is.

With my children fully engaged in activities, I love having time to catch up with good friends.  Sitting by the lake soaking in the sun makes the experience even more perfect!  I don't mean to brag about my mommy group... but I really cannot say enough about the benefits of being part of such an amazing group of ladies (plus daddies and kids).   We are very lucky!
2007 - At Dinopark - The children enjoy dinosaurs dancing!

2007 - Megan is 2 and Matthew is 4.
The three original families - Barker, Nakagawas, and Painters
2008 - Megan is 3 and Matthew is 5.
We grow to six families: Barkers, MacNeils, Satos, McCluskeys, Painters and Hepburns.
Although, I thought the Nakagawas have come every year but I am not sure why they
aren't in this photo - I will have to check on this!

2009 - Megan is 4 and Matthew is 6.
We grew to nine families: Satos, Barkers, Hepburns, Donhams, Fergusons,
McCluskeys, MacNeils, Nakagawas, Painters... plus some visiting friends from Korea.
2010 - Megan is 5 and Matthew is 7.
And we grew again by one family making it ten families: Barkers, Satos,
Donhams, Fischers, MacNeils, Painters,Nakagawas, Fergusons, McCluskeys, and the Hepburns.
2011 - Megan is 6 and Matthew is 8.
This year we had 12 families: Barkers, Donhams, Fischers, MacNeils, Satos, Spears, Hepburns
Fergusons, Jakubecs, Painters, and the Nakagawas.
2012 - Megan is 7 and Matthew is 9.
This is an awful picture that I will replace once one of my friends with the fancy
cameras share their photos with me!   I will also post a slide show of some of our
favourite pictures.This year we also had 12 families: Barker, Donhams, Fischers,
MacNeils, Satos, Spears, Hepburns, Fergusons, Jakubecs, Painters, Nakagawas, and
the Coutts... plus some new friends from Korea.  We really missed the McCluskeys
and plan to work our magic on the Monrads to get them to come next year!

Matthew began to do the "BIG" slide last year at
Splashdown and he's made me promise ever since
that he could go to Cultas Lake Waterslides after
we finished camping!   It is an outstanding park
but unfortunately it was the coldest day of our trip!


Scott and Megan did the CRAZY slides!
Matthew and I safely watched on the sidelines.

When it got too cold, we headed for the hottub.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like an awesome time Jen. Last year we did Deception Pass and stayed at Fort Ebey State Park. Cold, but beautfiul and fun. It was our first tent camping trip with kids. Jack was 2 and Sarah 4. We also did a little resort camping at the KOA in Lynden. This year, we did Cultus Lake and loved it. We always go with the Hikidas (our kid, tent camping mentors) as they always remember what we forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Deception Pass is very cold. We also went last year and I froze - I swore we'd never go back. As we drove to the coast I watched the temperature gauge go from 25c to 16c when we finally pulled into our site. Funny how I have no memories of it being cold as a kid. Going with others makes the experience so much better. I always forget stuff too and I love how someone in the group has what I need. We also plan meals with another family and split the cost of groceries. I find this makes it cheaper because my kids could never go through a whole bag of marshmallows (well, actually they could - but I wouldn't let them!) and hotdogs, etc. I noticed awhile back you were looking for tips... I did notice something I would recommend. One of the moms in the group puts her shampoo and conditioner into a plastic basket with holes in it. Also in the basket is a soap in a red plastic cup and a facecloth. She then can hang this in the shower on a hook. And when the kids took showers after swimming in the lake (swimmers itch) they put their wet bathing suits in the basket too.

    ReplyDelete