Wednesday 8 August 2012

Checking off the list...

Outside of our trip down the Oregon coast and our annual Cultas Lake camping trip, this summer I hoped to spend more days and nights at home than we usually do each summer.   As I have been busier with work and school, I have become more protective and hoarding of my time.  Don't get me wrong, I love all the activities that come with summer but I also know that this summer, unlike others, I wanted to take things a few paces slower and enjoy some quiet time at home reading, relaxing, cleaning (necessary) and organizing for the upcoming school year.

That said, I also have two active kids who are used to being on the go and continually ask each morning "What are we doing today?"  I have tried to balance everyone's needs by planning local activities that allow for me to have some time at home in the morning and evening, while at same time please my kids who like to see and go places.   At the beginning of each summer, the kids and I create a list of things we want to do.   This was our list this summer.


So far it has been successful!  We've done many of the activities on the list and even added a few like Chuck E Cheese.  I have enjoyed having time at home to bake and have friends over for bar-b-ques.   The mornings where we've been able to lounge around in our jammies until noon have been very much appreciated and evenings at home have provided time for bike rides, walks, games at the school field, and watching movies together as a family.   Last night while we were away, we rented "We Bought A Zoo" and watched it while all cuddled together.   It was a nice movie but was overshadowed by the awesome thunder and lightening outside!  



Making SLURPEES with the machine Matthew
received from Uncle Steve for his birthday!








Waiting for the log ride!



They wouldn't let him climb with his Crocs because he did not
have a back strap... He was desperate to climb so he squeezed into Megan's shoes!

And the bravest award goes to...

We crossed off whale watching because it was way too expensive!  Instead, we returned to Whistler.   We have been going every summer for the past few and each time stay at a different hotel... I love to book last minute because you get great deals!  There are a ton of fun things to do in Whistler in the summer.   Usually we go on the Peak 2 Peak and hike around the mountains but this trip we just relaxed by the pool, did a bit of shopping (LOVE the Crocs store... and the kids each stepped on my flipflops at separete times which eventually broke while there - great timing!), had icecream at Cows, watched the BMX bikers doing tricks at the base of Whistler, played many board and card games (Cheat is the kids latest favourite) and ate outside on patios.  The weather was HOT so we spent a lot of time at the pool.

Here are some of the places we've stayed in the past:

Tantulus Lodge - a bit far away from the action and we didn't like the location of the pool (right in front of the hotel)
The Westin - nice hotel and close to the village - but the pool gets a lot of shade in the afternoon
The Fairmount Chateau - by far the best pool - like that it is located close to the Kids Adventure Zone - but the rooms are small.
The Crystal Lodge - right in the heart of the village.  The heater to the pool wasn't working when we were there and it was really cold - but the newer rooms are nice (be sure to request those ones).
The Delta Village Suites - my favourite so far!   Comfortable rooms with laundry.  Located within the village but not in the noisy part.   Great pool but not a very big shallow end which Megan missed (she likes to do hand-stands)
***Next year I'd like to stay at the PanPacific Village Inn and would love to hear any thoughts on this hotel or others!

With only a few weeks left, the kids still have many things to look forward to, such as: a BC Lions game, Whitecaps Soccer Camp, a second trip to Splashdown (this time with the mommy group), going away camping in a motorhome with their Grandparents and ticking a few more items off the list with me!

1 comment:

  1. I love the list idea, we did that for our April spring break and it reminds you of things you'd like to accomplish and a good feeling, when you do tick things off! I am a total list person and I am so much more productive when I do! look forward to seeing you at Splashdown!

    ReplyDelete