Saturday 25 August 2012

Getting Ready

They made these signs for the BC Lions game they
went to with Scott!
As the nights become darker earlier and my bank account is dropping daily as I pay for the kids extra curricular activities, I am reminded that all too soon we are back to school!  Last year this time I felt ready.  We had a good summer, but I was excited to start my Masters and eager to try some new things out in my classroom.  We were all kind of tired of the lazy days of summer and yearning for some structure and routine.

This year is different...  We have had an amazing summer, enjoying the perfect balance of going away, daily activities, and relaxing at home.   I have read more than I ever have in one summer and spent a lot of time just cuddling on the couch with my kids.   My kids surprised me and slept in each day to 7am (usually they are up just before 6am) and I was able to wake around 8ish which was heavenly.   During our lazy mornings, or late evenings we all sit together on the couch or lay in mine and Scott's bed watching movies.   I think I have now seen every Disney movie out there, and some probably more than once.  I must say I really like High School Musical and am happy my kids are now enjoying movies with real people and not just cartoons.

This September I move from working 50% to 80%, and am going to be taking two classes for my Master's which I swore I would never do again... but since switching cohorts to MET, one course didn't transfer and I need to do this.   Knowing the workload that is coming I have been trying to soak up every minute of time with Scott and the kids.  I have also been wrestling with feelings that I haven't felt in a very long time ~ insecurities and fear.  Beginning a new position at UBC has me excited but also feeling worried, and I am filled with questions ~ I wonder, am I really ready?  Will I be good enough?  Do I know what I need to know?  Will they like me?  How will I manage to balance all the different roles I will have?  I have found myself very humbled by these thoughts and reminded that many children moving to new schools and/or classrooms will be also be experiencing these similar thoughts.   I am lucky to have a wonderful husband, family and friends who support me.   I also have the benefit of age and experience so I know that change can be a good thing, and although it is OK to have worries, I know deep down that I will be fine.   I have wanted to be a Faculty Advisor for many, many years and am ready for this new chapter.  Everything will fall into place, exactly as it is meant to be.

If you happen to have children who may be feeling nervous of the upcoming school year, please be kind to them, talk to them, and let them know that they too will be OK.

As I prepare to send my little loves off to school this September, I hope and pray that their teacher(s) see just how special they are and take the time to get to know them personally.   Today as we drove to and from Bellingham to pick up back to school food, supplies, and clothes I don't think we had a minute of silence.  Both Matt and Megan sang together and independently, and shared their thoughts, ideas and questions (LOTS of questions) with Scott and I.   They are passionately curious and could be easily captivated by any educator who engaged them.   I really hope they do get teachers who love their jobs, understand that learning should be fun and social, and spend lots of time talking with them, and not at them.  My kids have a lot to contribute ~ I am crossing my fingers that they get someone who sees this!

2 comments:

  1. I was nodding and agreeing with so many things in this post. I have enjoyed this summer so much with my kids. I don't quite feel ready to get back to work. Other summers I found hard, but now that the kids are older, we have had such a great time together. Melt downs are rare and our adventures have been a joy.
    I also have wonders and insecurities about my new position and how I will balance the full time with the other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    I KNOW you are up for the challenge this fall. We are all learners and if your Teacher Candidates are wise, they will take the opportunity to learn from you and to ask you lots of questions. And I know that you will learn lots from them too. I am really excited for you and your TCs and the experiences you will share. I hope you will have a lot of fun and that the next few years at UBC will be a rich experience for you and your TCs!!!

    Bye for now,
    Ingrid :)

    ReplyDelete