Tuesday 3 April 2012

David


My brother in law had surgery on Friday to remove a cancerous brain tumour.   We were all very worried and saying a lot of prayers.   Cancer is such a scary disease and the older I get, the more young people I know who are getting it.   David is only 38.   His situation is made even worse due to the fact that he and my sister are expecting a baby boy in July.   Through the family's tears of concern, David kept telling us "It's going to alright... I am going to be fine!" Not once did he ever complain or saying anything even slightly negative.   He was the definition of positive.   David has a great sense of humour and I think this has really helped him to deal with what he is going through and has supported those around him.

The surgery went better than expected.   His doctor thinks he was able to remove most of the tumour and plans to treat the outlying areas with radiation and chemo.   The biopsy came back and the tumour was a Stage II, instead of a Stage III as originally thought, which is great news!   Scott, the kids and I went and visited David on Saturday and we were shocked that he was so alert and he even joked with us.

Sunday was more difficult.   David suffered some prolonged seizures.   Apparently seizures were expected as part of the healing process but it still caused concern and worry.   His neurologist saw him yesterday and is monitoring the situation.   He still has a long way to go but I know with his attitude, he will beat the cancer.   I find myself cautiously celebrating and wondering many things...

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Can our positive thoughts really change outcomes for the better?  And if this is true, then what about the reverse?

Why haven't we found a cure for cancer?

My Grandparents died of cancer, two of my cousins have had cancer, my mom has had cancer... What does this mean for my family's future?   Should I worry?

Do I spend enough time with family?   Is my life balanced?

Although I would not call myself a religious person, I do believe in a higher power and believe that everything happens for a reason, even we aren't able to know all the "whys".   I wonder perhaps, if the situation with David is meant to remind all of us to slow down, love our families, and live each day to the fullest.   Sounds cliche, I know... but I think it just may be true.



No comments:

Post a Comment