Monday 14 May 2012

Reflections on Motherhood

As I reflect on Mother's Day, I have come to realize that I am one of the lucky people in this world who has grown up with a wonderful mother.   My mother is always there for me, my husband, my kids or my siblings.   She cooks dinner for my family so I can stay late at school on Thursday nights, cleans/tidies my house, occasionally shops for me, takes my kids to give Scott and I breaks, listens to me, bakes and shares these goodies, and the list goes on and on.  When I was growing up she worked as a teacher full-time for many years juggling motherhood and a career, and rarely put herself first.  She created many special traditions for our family and often went without, to give us things like name-brand clothing.   Those who know her best, know not to give her a gift card because she will give it away to someone she thinks needs it more.   Like all moms, sometimes she gets under my skin...  She'll give advice (sometimes unsolicited) as mother's often do, but her advice challenges me to think of new ideas/possiblities and even when I disagree with her, I know she respects me.   I am so blessed to have her in my life.

Twelve years ago, she was diagnosed with leukaemia.   Since then she has had a successful bone marrow transplant and continues to take pills daily to keep her healthy.   When I hear other peoples stories of cancer, I think she is a walking miracle.   I don't know how she does it.  She is as busy as I am and is twice my age!   For many years right after her operation I was good at communicating how much I loved her and how much I appreciated her.   Lately though as my life has become more busy, I don't tell her as much as I should.

When I reflect on the mother that I am... I know that 90% of it is because of her.   I bake, cook, clean, do a ton of things with my kids, create and continue traditions, love unconditionally and work hard to balance life as a mom with a career, and now also as a student.   I also surround myself with other great moms, as my mom did and in doing so I have become a better person, friend and mother.   I take time for myself, unlike my mom and can lose my patience easily... but overall my kids know I love them (even when I am not pleased with some of their behaviours).

Thinking about the "job"of motherhood - as difficult as it is, with all its challenges... and there are many - becoming a mom has made me a better person.   Just when I think I have no more to give, I hear my children calling "Mommy" in the middle of the night and I am there.   I either crawl in with them or they crawl in with me.  When I remember at the end of a long day, that cupcakes are needed for a school festivity, I bake and get to bed late.   And when I feel like taking a nap on the couch on a Sunday afternoon, I don't.  Instead, I muster up energy from within to become my children's biggest fan and cheer them on at baseball/hockey/soccer games.  This is the life of a mom.  It is no longer about me - life if about them/us/family!

But it isn't all just giving.   The joy and love I receive from my two little bunnies is something I am forever grateful for.    The enrich my life in more ways that I ever could have imagined.   I feel so lucky to get to see the world through their eyes.  They energize me, challenge me, take me to extremes (good and bad), and nothing makes me more happy than being M&M's mommy!

This Mother's Day weekend was wonderful!   My husband painted the fence for me (a request I placed 2 years ago), we went for dinner as a family on Saturday night, and Sunday just the kids and I went to the beach during the day (Scott was still painting), we stopped at DQ, and then had Scott's parents over for dinner.   Tomorrow at my mom's request, we are going to head down to the States for some one-on-one time and shopping.

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all my Mommy Friends!!!   I hope you all had a wonderful day too!



No comments:

Post a Comment