Monday 7 May 2012

Happiness

Life is so full these days... kiddies schedules combined with work schedules, combined with my school schedule and necessities of life such as grocery shopping, cleaning and of course sleeping.   As much as I try to keep balance, there are always moments of chaos, stress, frustration, and occasional tears.   But for the most part - when I reflect on my day to day life, I am a happy person.

Saturday I attended a conference at UBC and one of the sessions I went to discussed the importance of happiness with respect to individual and group learning.   The researchers Dr. Karen Armstrong and Hiren Mistry are investigating is there is any relationship between happiness as a state of mind and the ability to learn.   This caused me to wonder if I, as a learner was affected by my own state of happiness.

I pondered this on my long, beautiful drive out to Camp Elkgrove in Abbotsford where I met Megan at Sparks camp.   We had a wonderful time!  Lots of HAPPINESS!!!   For 24 hours I was fully present with Megan, celebrating and assisting in her love of crafts, play, singing, cuddles and hanging with friends.   Sweet little thing had tears last night as she realized that there will be no more Mother-Daughter Sparks camps for her, as next year she becomes a Brownie.  

Sunday after arriving home, I showered, dressed and was out the door to a baby shower for a friend.   I really should have been at home working on two Masters assignments, but the shower was for a close friend and I wanted to be there with her, to join in the celebration of her little baby to be.

As I returned home close to dinner, I was overcome with the stress. I have a lot of work left to do on my assignments and only have two days off this week.  Added to this, I struggled with the decision as to whether or not to continue with a second class this term.   This second course is online and would have begun tomorrow.   The specific kindergarten content of the class would have benefited me in my new position at UBC next year should I advise Teacher Candidates in the Kindergarten and Primary Cohort.   The flip side is that should I be moved to a K-7 cohort (which is a possibility) it might not be as relevant.   The assignments required for this course are very heavy.   I had been warned by my advisor and other teachers who had taken this class, that I should be prepared to work extremely hard.

Reflecting on my thoughts about happiness, I retreated to my bedroom early in the night to be alone with my thoughts.   Feeling the stress tonight, as I did, I could not focus on my assignments and had to put them aside until I was in a better frame of mind.  My mind was spinning and my mood was blue.   As difficult as it was, I made the decision to withdraw from the second course.   Balance and happiness are important.   Taking two courses this term would have been far too challenging and would have left me very unhappy.   I doubt that I would have been able to be successful in both course which would have upset me.   Dropping the class means I now need to take a one-week intensive course this summer but I am at peace with that.

I look forward to reading the researchers final article.   I can't wait to see their results.   If I am any example, my own state of happiness would be a strong predictor of my ability as a learner.   How does your state of happiness affect you?

Megan LOVED the cabin!


The bell!

Playing games...

Singing and stories all snuggled up in camp blankets!








1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen,
    The Sparks weekend sounds like so much fun. I am thinking of putting Sarah into it next year.
    It sounds like dropping the class was best for your right now. I don't think you would have been happy just doing an o.k. job in the class.
    Moved to another cohort? Will you have less driving? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete