Monday 10 September 2012

Beautiful Boots

So we all survived our first week back to school!   Generally everything went well ~ kids are happy in their new classes and I really enjoyed my first week as a Faculty Advisor at UBC.

Sunday I took Megan to the local shoe store to pick out some  running shoes for gym.   Her  slip-on Sketchers don't cut it for gym class.   When we arrived at the store I noticed that all the children's shoes were buy one, get one half off.   I love to shop and am always a sucker for a deal.  So, I suggested to Megan that she should also get a pair of boots as the colder weather is coming.  Last year she had a practical, but cute pair of boots.   They were silver and lined with fuzzy stuff on the inside.

Walking through the store I found an aisle with many boots to choose from... knock off UGGs, knee-high leather boots, lined gum boots, and many others that I liked.   As I was looking at these, Megan was behind me looking at the opposite aisle when I heard her exclaim "Mommy, look at these, they're PERFECT!"

Taking the boots from her and quickly setting them down (secretly hoping she would forget about them), I nicely tried to encourage Megan to try on one of the pairs that I was looking at.   I held up several pairs and asked "What about these ones?"

Swiftly she pointed to the boots that I was showing her and replied "These are all 'Mommy-like' boots! The black ones and these fuzzy brown ones - they are adult boots and are just like yours.  I am a kid and I like kids stuff.   Mommy, I want kid boots!".   How could I argue with that?  In that moment, she silenced me.

She is just a kid and really you only get to be a kid once ~ so I bought the sparkly, impractical boots  and she looks great in them!



6 comments:

  1. Oh dear... sounds like the preteen rebellion is starting early in your household!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly, but I like that she has an opinion/voice and knows how to make a persuasive argument!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah was looking at similar boots on Saturday. We ended up getting a different pair, equally shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it makes you feel better - we have a very similar pair in our home :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer and Pindi - so do we :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this Ms. Sadlo or Armstrong? Pindi and Tanya ~ what colours did your girls get?

      Delete