Sunday 17 January 2016

Top Ten List ~ Happiness

Thinking about my word of the year, I wondered what might surface it I had to list the top ten things that make me happy.  Here goes:

  1. Spending time with Scott and kids and Buddy, our dog.  Whether relaxing at home, watching a movie, enjoying a dinner out, watching the kids doing sports, driving in the car with these guys, trying something new together as a family, getting together with our extended family, or just being together doing nothing... being with my family brings me much happiness. 
  2. My morning cup of coffee.  Scott makes it for me and it is perfect... lukewarm, just the right amount of sugar and skim milk.  I am not a fan of Starbucks or other fancy coffee places.  I look forward to this cup each morning and its own small way it makes my day a little more happy. 
  3. Spending time with friends - whether with my mommy group, friends from Neilson Grove school, old friends from high school, teacher friends, my special friend who I see mostly via text, etc..  I appreciate their honesty about the struggles of parenting and the support we provide for each other. I also love the wonderful traditions my Mommy group have created for our children (e.g., Canada Day Party, Camping, etc.)  Friends bring me happiness!
  4. Baking - I am a big sweet fan and the taste of something yummy makes me smile! All in all though, I think it is the actual creative aspect of baking that I love the most. 
  5. Phone calls and time with my mom - Whenever something good happens, or a funny moment, or when I am upset, the first person after Scott that I want to call is always my Mom.  Yes, she phones a lot but I wouldn't trade this for anything. I love going shopping with her or out to dinner or even just driving in the car. 
  6. Teaching - My students, whether big or little and my amazing colleagues bring me happiness. Professional reading and learning, planning, reflecting on my students' accomplishments, sharing alongside students' ah-ha moments, and pretty much anything to do with teaching and learning makes me happy. 
  7. Going out for dinner either to a friend's or restaurant.  I really don't like to cook and hate the dreaded question "What is for dinner?" so when we get invited out, I appreciate not only the lovely company, but also the food.  For some reason it tastes so much better when someone else has done all the work.  
  8. Buying seasonal items.  I love to decorate for Christmas, Valentine's Day, Easter, and Halloween.  Scott thinks I am a little obsessed. It may be the teacher in me, but I just love to celebrate these fun days.  I get excited when I see cute items in Home Sense and Pier One and I get even more thrilled when I find good deals after the holiday.  Thank goodness our new house has lots of storage so I can keep adding to my collections.   
  9. A great story makes me happy! Losing myself in a good book or movie (even if I come into it half way) or connecting to a blogpost that teaches me something, these are all moments of happiness.
  10. Quiet time in my office with a cup of tea. I love looking through the window watching folks walking down Central and imagining what they are thinking. I love the calm and peace that I feel while in that room and the warmth that a good cup of tea brings. It is my special place!
What bring you happiness?  I wonder what your top-ten list might include? 

No comments:

Post a Comment