Wednesday 4 April 2012

Taking Comfort...

In life when we are stressed, scared, or worried we tend to seek comfort.   For my children, they find comfort in a hug from Scott or I, supportive words, or through crawling into bed with us in the middle of the night.   Some parents discourage this but personally I am happy to provide the needed security for them... and know that all too soon there will come a day when this will stop.  I love feeling Megan's little feet push through the numerous pillows that I love to surround myself with -  until she finds my body and then quickly wraps her legs around mine.   I can't imagine anything more complimentary than being the security for a child.

Yesterday while I was at home alone and felt stressed and worried, I sought comfort in baking.   Each Easter I bake egg shaped sugar cookies and the kids enjoy decorating them and delivering them to our neighbours.  They often like to pretend they are the Easter Bunny.   They place the cookies at the door, ring the door bell and run and hide.   This week I wasn't sure I was going to have the time or energy to make the cookies, given everything going on.   I am so glad I did make the time.   Baking is something I love to do and hadn't done in awhile. I forgot how much joy and comfort it brings me.

When Megan and her friend arrived home from the school, they were ecstatic to decorate.  Matthew was excited too... and since he was busy after school golfing and then off to hockey, him and I plan to decorate later today.   I can't wait to watch the kids do the deliveries!

No comments:

Post a Comment